QATAR Football Association Vice-President Saud Abdulaziz Al Mohannadi said he was confident a recent recommendation to ban him by FIFA’s Investigatory Chamber would not stop him from contesting for one of the three seats from Asia on the world governing body’s 36-man council.
The election to the FIFA Council will be held at the Asian Football Confederation’s (AFC) Extraordinary Congress in Goa, India, on September 27.
“Since my candidacy was given an all-clear by FIFA last month, I’ve campaigned throughout Asia, building support for a candidacy designed to reflect the importance of the AFC in world football. However, as this campaign reaches its climax, I was disappointed to learn of the recommendations put forward by the Investigatory Chamber of FIFA’s Ethics Committee via a media release and without prior notification,” Al Mohannadi, who is also an AFC vice-president, said in a statement.
“The experience of this campaign, along with the endorsements I’ve received, leaves me more convinced than ever of the value I’ve to offer after a long and successful career in football administration. It’s my hope these recommendations don’t result in this campaign being fought in vain,” Al Mohannadi added.
The FIFA Investigatory Chamber
recommended the ban on Al Mohannadi after it investigated him for an alleged failure to co-operate fully with a
different anti-corruption probe. DSP