Las Vegas, USA: Mexican middleweight Saul "Canelo" Alvarez was handed a six-month ban by the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Wednesday over the failed drug test which forced his rematch with Gennady Golovkin to be cancelled.
At a hearing in Las Vegas, the commission unanimously approved a deal that will see Alvarez suspended for six months from the date of his failed test on February 17.
The ruling means Alvarez, who did not attend the hearing, will be free to fight again in August -- raising the possibility of a rescheduled Golovkin fight in September.
Alvarez tested positive for Clenbuterol twice, on February 17 and February 20, during voluntary out-of-competitions tests as he prepared for his May 5 rematch with Golovkin.
He later blamed the tests on eating contaminated meat in his native Mexico, where several athletes across different sports have encountered similar problems in recent years.
The 27-year-old risked a one-year ban over the failed test, but Nevada authorities said he had been given a six-month suspension citing his co-operation with authorities.
At a news conference in Los Angeles earlier this month, Alvarez insisted he the victim of a mistake, hitting back at claims from Golovkin that he was dope cheat.
"I am truly shocked about what has happened, and for those who have doubts and suspicions about my integrity I have always been and always will be a clean fighter," Alvarez said. "I respect this sport. I will always be a clean fighter."