Paris: Romanian Mihaela Buzarnescu continued her remarkable rise by breaking into the WTA top 20 for the first time on Monday after winning her maiden Tour title in San Jose.
The 30-year-old left-hander was ranked outside the world's top 500 at the last start of last season, but beat Greek Maria Sakkari on Sunday after losing her first two WTA Tour finals earlier this year in Hobart and Prague.
Her compatriot and French Open champion Simona Halep maintained her healthy lead as world number one, while 23-time Grand Slam champion Serena Williams stayed 26th after her embarrassing 6-1, 6-0 thrashing by Johanna Konta in the San Jose first round.
WTA top 20
1. Simona Halep (ROU) 7,511 pts
2. Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) 6,660
3. Sloane Stephens (USA) 5,492
4. Angelique Kerber (GER) 5,305
5. Elina Svitolina (UKR) 5,020
6. Caroline Garcia (FRA) 4,680
7. Garbine Muguruza (ESP) 4,535
8. Petra Kvitova (CZE) 4,505
9. Karolina Pliskova (CZE) 4,485
10. Julia Goerges (GER) 3,900